Sunday, May 6, 2018

Theater: Seed Folks, starring Sonja Parks at The New Vic, NYC 2018



Performed by: Sonja Parks
Directed by: Peter C. Brosius
Children's Theatre Company, Minneapolis, MN

Based on the book by Newbery Medal-winning author Paul Fleischman, Seedfolks tells the story of a neighborhood brought together by one small girl planting seeds in an abandoned lot. We sat down with award-winning actress Sonja Parks, who brings to life each and every resident of Gibb Street.

Sonja Parks on Creating Each Character in SEEDFOLKS (excerpt from https://www.newvictory.org/Blog/April-2018/Sonja-Parks-Seedfolks):
Why do you think theater is important at this moment in time?
Theater teaches us how to empathize with one another. When we go to the theater, we exist in the same space together, watching other human beings navigate their problems and challenges. Often, we discover that the things we think divide us, really unify us—our insecurities, faults and places where we fall short. When we're able to connect with another person, it's harder to dismiss their humanity.  
What's the most memorable audience reaction you've seen to Seedfolks?
There's one moment in the show where I introduce two audience members to each other. One night, I noticed a little girl who was sitting in the front row. She was so sweet and so involved in watching the show that I couldn't ignore her! I went up to her and asked her name. She hesitated for a few seconds and then, quite seriously, said, "My name is Princess Sonja." The whole audience laughed and I, too, had to stifle a smile. I said, "It's so nice to meet you, Princess Sonja. Would you mind coming with me for a minute?" After checking with her father, she took my hand.
I noticed an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair sitting far-stage right. I took Princess Sonja over to him and asked the gentleman his name. "My name is Saul," he said. I replied, "Nice to meet you, Saul. Saul, this is Princess Sonja." Without missing a beat, the little girl jumped into his lap and gave him a big hug. "Hi Saul!" she screamed. The gentleman was surprised for a second, but then he hugged her right back and said, "Hi, Princess." There was a collective "awwww" from the audience. I gently disentangled the Princess from the gentleman and took her back to her parents.
When people drop their guard and exist in a moment with one another, that's when the real theater magic can begin!
https://www.parentmap.com/article/show-and-tell-scts-seedfolks-one-woman-masterpiece